Answered By: Monique Delatte Last Updated: Sep 13, 2018 Views: 80
Because FC Library is an academic library, we teach users how to find the information. Here is some general info regarding citations:
• We have style guides and handbooks that you can use in the library, and there are style guides that are available for check-out, too.
• We offer handouts with citation examples at the reference desk.
• Purdue Owl is a handy tool: https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/section/2/.
• Books: Try the citation tools that are available via easybib.com and worldcat.org. Popping a book’s ISBN into worldcat.org is an easy way to generate a citation. Be sure to double-check any auto-generated citations using a style guide.
• Databases/Articles: The FC Library databases offer users citation tools. (In the form of a button that you click. Be aware that you will have to check auto-generated citations for errors.) For example, in EBSCO, you can click the “cite” button to generate a citation. (To repeat the disclaimer, you will need to double-check the EBSCO-generated citation for errors. The EBSCO-generated citation will be a good start, but likely not perfect.)
• Books, Newspapers, Databases/Articles, etc: You can also use our subscription citation tool, NoodleBib to develop your works cited page. NoodleBib is a citation development tool that is popular with our student users. Using NoodleBib, you may generate, edit, and publish an MLA Works Cited, APA References, or Chicago/Turabian bibliography that can be imported into Word. Please note: After being authenticated through the library subscription, you must also create your own personal ID by clicking “Register.” If you already have created a personal ID, enter it to access your saved work.
I should also say that, just for future reference, the writing center is a resource that is available help you learn how to use style guides, too. You can make an appointment via 714.992.7153. According to their website: “Walk-in students are always welcome; however, if you want to be sure that you can see a tutor, you should make an appointment in advance.” Their email address is: firstname.lastname@example.org.